Keep your chickens cooler for $10

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chuckzoo, Aug 5, 2010.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I recently purchased this free standing mister from the Home Depot for $10. It simply connects to your hose and uses very little water.

I run it during the hottest part of the day and it really does make a difference, cooling the air in the run and moisting the sand which the chickens then like to lay on.

I recommend running it with a fan if you are in a very humid climate.

[​IMG]

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Very good idea! Thanks for sharing.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I bought a porch mister for mine that goes about 20 feet and cost 15.99 at Lowe's. For a smaller area I like yours better.

4. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    We have had one for several months now and it works great...... we found our's on sale at Ace Hardware in the spring for $6.99.

5. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    This is on our supply list for the coop we're currently building!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Are we related? I *just* bought one of these yesterday at Home Depot, and it's the same color. Bought it for the exact same reason, too!!!!

7. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:I initially had one of the porch misters rigged up where I had my run and coop before I moved it. I like the free standing one because it is so much easier to use, you could even set it on a timer when you are away.

8. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have that very same mister -- in that very same color. I bought one for my daughter-in-law (the Constant Gardener) and one for me -- well, for me, for Builder Bob, for the hens -- whoever.

Jenny

9. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:Are we related? I *just* bought one of these yesterday at Home Depot, and it's the same color. Bought it for the exact same reason, too!!!!

We must be!

I was actually looking for a green one so it would blend in with my run, but they didn't have any so I thought what the heck might as well get a funky color for the chickens!

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    That is a very cool idea.

I dont mean to change the subject but am I the only one who thought that you have a VERY cool run??? I love how you have it terraced filled with sand and the natural branches to roost or perch on. You should consider going to work building habitats for a zoo!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by