Keep your fingers crossed!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jsto, May 12, 2007.

1. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    I was just perusing craigslist, once again, not at all hopeful of finding anything (old shed, spare lumber, etc.) but looking all the same just in case. Again, nothing. I was feeling hopeless, defeated, my bank account was in tears over all those new 2x4s we will be purchasing tomorrow morning. Then I see it: "Wooden Playhouse--$60!" Rubbing my eyes to make sure I'm not seeing things due to the late hour, I realise it's been up there for 4 days. Surely someone will have nabbed it. Still, I shall soldier on. I've emailed asking if it is still available and what the dimensions are. Wish me luck! If it's the right size, this would be PERFECT! It looks like it's in great shape and although the picture is small, it seems to be about the right size as well. Actually, even if it's a bit small, for that price we could modify it with the lumber we already have.

Ohh, I really want this playhouse! I'm dreaming of all the hammer-smashed-thumbs, swearing, and splinters it could save. So, wish me luck! My fingers, toes, and eyes are all crossed and I know I'll be refreshing my email constantly until I hear back. I wish these people were on the same bass ackwards sleep cycle I'm on [​IMG]

Edited to add the picture: [​IMG]

How big do you guys reckon it is?? I was trying to compare to the fence (the only comparable thing near it), but who knows how tall that fence is. Anyway, I'm awful at figuring how large things are in pictures [​IMG] At first I thought it was large, next to a huge fence, but now I'm not so sure. It sort of looks teensy.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    I downloaded the pic and played with contrast and brightness trying to get anymore detail, I failed. Id'e say 3x3x4.5 minimum, could be much larger, the pic is low res [​IMG] and it's hard to tell. How many you need to house?

3. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the fence is 6' -maaaybe 8'. They wouldn't need a center-brace if it was three or four feet. So my guess is it's around 5' tall.
    Looks like a cute little home with plenty of chicken potential -best of luck! [​IMG]

4. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I may be mistaken but do you see a guy standing in the picture? He's behind the left side of the fence standing under the tree, looks like tan paints and a maroon shirt. If it is a guy standing there, average man size is about 6ft. I'd say. Compaired to the playhouse, I'd have to say it look to be mabey 5.5 ft high...the door looks then to only be about 3.5ft. x 2.5. An about 4.5 wide & depth
    If that the case it may be hard for you to get inside to clean, collect, feed, etc. I hope it's larger then what I see, and I hope you find what you looking for soon if this is not availble.
    Good Luck [​IMG]

5. Jsto

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    It is a very low res picture, which is why I was having such a problem. I was thinking along the same lines, mlheran. The center brace makes the fence seem at least around 6 ft.

I don't see a man---unless he's really thin! Although there's no way to gauge exactly how big that tree is, if that thing was man, I think he'd be a bit of a giant. Look at the 'head' compared to the tree. Could be though. This picture was taken from a weird perspective.

Still waiting for an email back. It's about 10:30 here, which I feel is a reasonable hour to call, but I think I'll give it another half hour just in case they like to sleep in.

For now it would only be housing 5 chickens, but I'm hoping to expand in the future so would like to consider that before building/setting up a coop.

6. Jsto

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    I just got a call back from the woman with the playhouse and they still have it! It's only 4x4, but it's solid wood, gabled roof, in really awesome shape--I can't beat $60, even if I have to add on to it. We're going to have a look at it tomorrow morning, so I'm hopeful!

7. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

That's wonderful! [​IMG]
    You could always raise it by two feet to make it easier for clean-out and egg collection -plus they'd have the space underneath to forage. [​IMG] Can't wait to see what you do with it!

8. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    So cute!!
    I have a 4x4 outhouse as one of my coops, so this is totally doable!
    Just adorable!!!

9. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Awesome deal! [​IMG]

10. Jsto

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Ok, well we've bought it! When they say solid wood, they mean solid wood, so we're going to have to wait for a few friends to help us get it since it has to be lifted over a fence. It's already got a door and windows on the 3 other walls. We will be adding to it, but we already have it planned. Plus, we have enough wood left over from other projects to make the additions without buying much else, so this is great! I'm very excited!!

We have a wooden skid we picked up from Volvo (brand new wood, just used to transport machinery) that we were originally going to use for the floor (no spaces between the wood or anything--it's in perfect shape). Now we're going to use it to make a porch that comes out from the coop! As soon as we get it and start work, I'll post some pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by