Keep yours in breeding pens or males separate?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I keep my Coturnix in pens with 2 females to a male, in one of my pens I have not been getting any eggs the last few days and the females heads are tore up so I am assuming the male has them all stressed out over-breeding them.

I pulled him out and put in a pair of Tibetans that I had in a pen as a "pair" because their other female had died. So now there is one more "gentle" male with three lady friends and the aggressive male is in a bachelor pad all alone [​IMG] he is NOT happy lol he has been calling out since I put him in there alone, I am thinking of putting some nice romantic novels in with him to make him more of a ladies man but until that happens I will just ask you this lol

Do you keep your males and females in small groups like I do or do you just allow your males in with the females every few days with the intentions of them breeding then separate them again?

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Keep them together and go with a 5:1 ratio or greater. Two hens just aren't enough for these little guys...they have part energizer bunny in their genes [​IMG]

3. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Do you think this will work Bill? lmao I love messing with photoshop

[​IMG]

4. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

5. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah I will be overrun with babies soon so I hope to get a few good females for "biggie smalls" as he has so affectionately been named lol, he yells at me every time I go near his cage now, I'm pretty sure he's not liking his bachelor pad much lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by