Keepin' Cool??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alliandme, Dec 12, 2011.

1. alliandme

alliandme Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    North Queensland
    G'day, Elle here [​IMG]

I've had my chickens for just over a year now. My best friend and I are in over our heads with chooks (Aussie slang for chickens XD)
    I have 10 hens and 1 big roo, Archie.
    Its currently nearing x-mas and so here "Down Under" it's flippin' hot!
    Any suggestions on how to keep cool?
    Also, I was wonderin' is anyone has given their chooks some toys? I wanna keep 'em busy and not dig up the remainin' grass, and not by puttin' mesh over it. I want TOY suggestions.
    Any tips??

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hey Elle [​IMG]

[​IMG] I'm in Australia too, and have had chooks for three summers so far. Most of the time they actually keep themselves cool. They'll prop their wings open and pant, however they need to do it.

Don't expect them to be too active though, mine usually spend the entire duration of summer underneath a tree in the shade. [​IMG] Just make sure their water is changed as frequently as possible - in the heatwave of 2009, we'd have full water when we left in the morning, which would be almost evaporated by the time we got home at night!

Toys... well, I'm afraid they'll dig up the grass whether they have toys or not! But you should be ok if it gets too hot, they won't want to do any digging. [​IMG] I find what's really good is a mound of dirt - they love digging through for worms and just having a dustbath, which incidentally also keeps them cool.

Good luck! (And merry Aussie christmas [​IMG])

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Shade and cold water are most important at keeping them cool. They will hold their wings out and pant as well. You can freeze treats like watermelon or grapes. I don't freeze my watermelon, but it's in the fridge, so it's cold. Since watermelon has a high water content, it helps them stay hydrated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by