1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping 2 mama rabbits together with their litters?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Laurobee13, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Laurobee13

Laurobee13 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    Clermont, GA
    I have two does that were bred on the same day to different bucks. I was wondering if anyone has ever had two mamas in the same enclosure with their litters?

My enclosure is 8 feet long. The does get along fine. I would give each their own nest box on different ends of the enclosure.

Would they hurt each others babies?

I have other enclosures if I need to separate them, they are just much smaller.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would separate them just to be safe. They might get along, but there is also the potential for a knock down drag out battle resulting in the loss of all of the kits.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    If both does try to use the same nest, things could get nasty. Doe #1 might kindle in the nest, and then doe #2 comes along and starts digging in the nest and dumps the first litter out trying to prepare the nest for her own litter. If these were my rabbits, I would have them housed separately for the sake of my own peace of mind.

4. Laurobee13

Aug 1, 2012
    Clermont, GA
    I've never seen them use the same nest - one prefers to burrow in the dirt and the other one likes the nest boxes. I'm just worried about handling them and moving them when they are literally due to kindle any hour now : /

5. Laurobee13

Aug 1, 2012
    Clermont, GA
    Also, if people can have colony rabbits successfully breed - shouldn't these two ladies be able to as well?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by