Keeping a broodie hen cool in hot weather?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, Dec 30, 2010.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Well my first attemp at allowing my 2 Leg Horn hens to hatch chicks together didn't go according to plan - long story short turns out one of the hens was eating the eggs, and now I'm convinced more than one chick hatched and they were eaten too (i found a body [​IMG] ). So after working out which hen was the problem, they have been separated and the good hen has another 12 eggs under her as of a few hours ago. She's such a beautiful girl, is so carefull to keep them all warm.
    But my question is - being in Australia we've finally hit summer and tomorrow is going to be HOT! Like 40 celcius which is 104F. The good hen is in her own little coop in a horse stable, her nest is straw (she decided thats where she wanted to nest) and the floor is concret. I'm just worried she is going to get too hot tomorrow so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks on how to keep her as cool as possible. She has a water dish she can get into if she wants, and even though she is in the shade, there isn't much air flow, although tomorrow is suppose to be windy so it might blow some air in on her, but it is still going to be hot.
    Any ideas?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She will need shade and breeze. If you can rig up a fan that blows through something wet, like a burlap bag, that will help even more.

3. Chickie15

Chickie15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I'd say hook up a fan for her, I also give frozen fruits (melon, berries, etc...) as treats in the summer. It's so odd to give advice about hot weather when its 27*F where I am. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by