1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping a broody cool?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dianneS, Jul 24, 2011.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I gave some fertile hatching eggs to a friend almost three weeks ago. I'm hoping and praying they hatch so I don't look like a fool. All of my hens eggs are fertile, there is no doubt about that.

As you know, broodies take care of all the business when hatching and caring for chicks. Not much human intervention is required.

We're having a heat wave here and my friend just emailed me and informed me that she's been putting ICE PACKS under the broody (with straw in between) to keep the hen cool in this heat!!! Doesn't she realize that the ice packs will also cool the eggs too??

Do you think the eggs will still hatch? [​IMG] This is such an odd situation, I don't know what to think? What do you think, could they still hatch or not?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

You are right! Stupid thing to do! Eggs will not hatch!...........Pop

3. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I'm not sure for how many days she was using the ice packs, but the heat wave has lasted all this week. I'm guessing at minimum maybe 3 days and at most 7. You know how long it takes for an ice pack to melt!! That nest would be cold for hours!

I really hope that some of the eggs still have a chance. I don't want to get blamed for them not hatching.

4. chickens? not yet

chickens? not yet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    Quote:I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't think your friend should have any live chickens, what will she do next?

5. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well unfortunately if they fall victim to lack of knowing you can mark it as a learning experience. if they don't understand that the may not hatch and blame you I say you explain the situation. They thought they were helping and well without knowing better it makes sense.
    To call it stupid and to say they shouldn't have chickens IMO is a bit harsh. We were all beginners at one point and time shoot I still am.
    Knowledge is a powerful tool and without knowing just exactly how much people know sometimes there is a hard lesson to be learned.

That being said how many of us do things that we know will affect the outcome of our eggs but we take the chance anyway?

6. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    The eggs might not have hatched regardless of the ice. Heat can be hard on them.

You said you gave her the eggs 3 weeks ago, and that the heat wave has lasted for the last week? The eggs should have developed for 2 weeks before she added the ice (if it did mess them up). If you really must prove who's fault this is, the eggs have developed enough to do an eggtopsy or candle them.

By the way, eggs hatch or they don't. I've had plenty of bad hatches from eggs that were fertilized and under a broody. Why are you concerned that something that can go wrong so easily would make you look like a fool? It sounds like you're getting ready to tell a very sad friend, "Haha this isn't my fault, you're just stooooopid!"

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I didn't read it that way at all.

If your friend doesn't take your advice on hatching and listen to you about the ice packs then she's not very smart. And if she blames you for anything that might have gone wrong with the eggs instead of realising that it was most probably her fault, then she's not much of a friend...

8. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:Thanks that's exactly right, I don't know why anyone would think I'm looking for an opportunity to call my friend "stooooopid" that's ridiculous. I've been hoping for a successful hatch for her since day one.

So back to the question at hand who thinks they still have a chance of hatching or not? Yes or No in your opinion what are the odds? That's really all I need to know, what's the general concensus?

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    To be honest it's really hard to say. I don't suppose it's a situation that most of us have had any experience of! If the eggs got totally chilled, they most likely will have died. But I'd imagine there's a fair chance that they were just cooled down a bit, which means they might still hatch, but a few days late. I'd definitely explain all this to your friend and say to her if the eggs don't hatch on day 21, to leave them a few days longer as the cold packs could have slowed down their development...

10. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I'm sure that most chicken owners have never encountered this particular dilemma before, so it probably is a tough call to make.

I did tell my friend to give them extra days, even before I knew about the ice packs.

I later warned her that the ice packs could cause them not to hatch at all or just a bit late. I hope she understands.

If these eggs don't hatch her hen will continue to brood, and then what? Should I give her another batch of eggs to try?

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that these eggs, at least a few of them, do hatch for her. That poor hen really wants to be a mom and I don't see her snapping out of this broody streak any other way than having some chicks to care for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by