Keeping a duck clean without baths?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amykins, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I need some advice for anyone who's ever been charged with treating angel wing. Wobbles' wraps are fairly delicate paper tape, since her feathers are still developing. So I was instructed not to get her wet. Easier said than done. The wraps are holding up, but she gets SO filthy! I've been trying to give her little sponge baths and spraying her with a water bottle whenever she gets dirty, but it's a fool's errand. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? If only I had a magic wand that could stop her from stepping or sitting in her own poop...

2. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    I completely cover the bottoms of my runs with mulch hay, that has helped keep my ducks significantly cleaner. Also you may need to clean housing more frequently. Keeping ducks clean is a difficult task though, they just seem to enjoy making messes!

3. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Easier said than done, she's a house duck! :p So hay, sadly, is not an option.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Amykins can you not take off the paper wrap long enough for her to have her bath then rewrap?

5. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    I have little advice for house ducks as I have never had one. I am sure you could take the wrappings off for a short bath though.

6. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    I kinda can't, though...I don't have the tape she used, and after having a professional wrap her up I don't trust myself to recreate the results! I just hope she won't need them much longer, she was checked after 5 days and she needed 'em on longer. So she'll be like this for another week or so, I think.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Well a nice fluffy wash cloth may work in a pinch. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by