Keeping a duck with Silkies?

33ChickenLovers

Songster
May 18, 2021
Okay, dumb question.
I have a female duck which I was planning to sell...or eat *cough* anyways I changed my mind and thought well actually I could keep it. So I own few Silkie pullets and thought I could keep the duck with them, I mean she could even be some sort of “mother” figure to them. But first I need some opinions/ advice if that’s a good idea or not, like if she would possibly... attack them?

What about getting another duck? Separate the ducks into a duck area and the silkies would have their own area. I have chickens and ducks. I have the run area separated with coops on each side. Sometimes they intermingle - my chickens stay dry and clean for the most part. I don't have silkies, but have some polish and they are able to stay clean even when the divider is open for a free for all.

A lone duck may do just fine with Silkies. It is better for the duck than being alone. Do your silkies roost? If yes Normal cleanings should be all you need. When I have chickens and ducks together I provide a small kiddie pool for drinking and swimming. Make sure not to leave the deep water out if you get chicks.

A lone duck may do just fine with Silkies. It is better for the duck than being alone. Do your silkies roost? If yes Normal cleanings should be all you need. When I have chickens and ducks together I provide a small kiddie pool for drinking and swimming. Make sure not to leave the deep water out if you get chicks.
No it’s okay we are just going to... eat the duck, but thank you for you advice, bless you😊

That was partially tongue-in-cheek about getting filthy. Ducks stay clean but seem to turn everything around them into mud. We have ducks with chickens but they go their own ways and don't hang around together.
Yeah, all good, they do make a big mess lol

What about getting another duck? Separate the ducks into a duck area and the silkies would have their own area. I have chickens and ducks. I have the run area separated with coops on each side. Sometimes they intermingle - my chickens stay dry and clean for the most part. I don't have silkies, but have some polish and they are able to stay clean even when the divider is open for a free for all.
No turns out, the duck is going to be turned into a yummy meal😋Lol
Thank you for the advice, and you have Polish nice, they are funky ones aren’t they? 😂
Bless you.

Back
Top Bottom