Keeping a fox at bay

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by salty, Aug 9, 2009.

1. salty

salty In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Derry, NH
    Has anyone ever heard that if you have a rooster it will keep a fox away??? What about a coyote...one has been drooling over my hens as of late and my neighbor lost a duck to the coyote...[​IMG]

2. Triggerjay

Triggerjay Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Springfield
    I would personally trap it.. Only a matter of time until it figures out how to get those yummy hens!

Jason

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Anything that gets near my birds is history!!! sss
    I have checked with my local game and wildlife first. I had a wicked skunk problem. I had a total of 13 skunks. I got one that almost in my pullets run. It wasn't afraid of me. When I approached it stood there trying to intimidate me by stamping its front feet on the ground. It was goodbye skunk.

4. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Songster

A rooster is no match for a hungry fox. Foxes are good at burrowing under fences and surprisingly good climbers too. So you had better have good fencing, with electic wires top and bottom.

Or kill the fox.

5. fasbendera

fasbendera Songster

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Check with Department of Natural Resources and see what options you have. Here in MN I can kill anything except birds of prey if they attack my chickens.

6. A rooster is a big chicken when it comes to foxes and coyotes. Foxes and usually coyotes are big ole chickens when it comes to big ole guard dogs. Foxes and coyotes are usually hard to trap.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  7. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Foxes took several of my free range flock last year. Evidently the dogs are keeping them away from the chickens now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: