Keeping a hen as a pet

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nc farm, Nov 13, 2014.

1. nc farm

nc farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Lexington, NC
    We have the sweetest Golden Laced Wyandotte hen, but she prefers to be with humans rather than the flock. Our other chickens do not pick on her, but she is scared to death of them. She runs and hides if any of them come near her. We have two roosters and eleven hens altogether. The other ones more or less hang in groups. They are all free range. Goldie is so submissive and because she is always alone, I worry about a predator getting her. She is super tame and actually likes to be held. Earlier, she was in the house with me for about a half hour, then I brought her back outside. I honestly think she would be happy as a pet, but not sure how feasible that would be. Was thinking of getting a large bird cage and keeping her on our screen porch, taking her out several times a day to socialize. Wondering if anyone else has had a hen like Goldie and kept it as a pet. We just got her about two weeks ago, so it is possible she might eventually work her way into the flock, but so far she would rather be with our family and our dogs. She actually prefers being with the dogs over the other chickens! Appreciate any advice. She is the sweetest thing!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    In the long run, she should be happier with the flock, but a lot of folks have house chickens..several threads on that.

I think you may see more input by reposting under managing your flock. Maybe rephrase how to integrate hen to flock? If that's your goal.
    But if your intention is to keep her as a house pet, then go for it.

3. nc farm

Feb 13, 2013
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks! I will try to repost. We have been trying to acclimate her into the flock, but after two weeks, she is still more interested in being with humans. Last night, when we do our nightly roost check, she was no where to be found. That is why I'm considering keeping her on the screen porch. Thanks for your input!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    She sounds awesome! The reason she hangs out by herself is probably because she's new. It's funny how chickens behave. I do believe they actually have friends. I've had chickens for years, and often times, they hang out with the chickens they grew up with as chicks. It's almost like kids at school. Unfortunately, when a newbie comes along, they are often left out. But she will gradually blend in.

I recently bought a rooster for my established flock. He was just a bit younger than my 14 hens. He kind of scooted around on the outskirts of the flock. (This was to avoid getting the occasional peck.) I kept him in the storage room of my coop, so they could see eachother trough the fencing, but not touch eachother. Then, I would let them free range together. As he grew, he was accepted and now he's a very good protector to the flock.

I think if you keep her separated, she may always be the way she is to the flock right now. Kind of an outsider. Nothing wrong with that if you enjoy her being more of a pet. She will enjoy your company and still lay eggs for you. :) They actually chicken diapers that you can put on them if they are a housepet. (But chicken poop is really kind of huge....) LOL

I always pay alot of attention to my baby chicks. There are always a few that are extra special like that. I had a Gold Brabanter hen that would fly into my arms and loved to be petted. In my current flock, the Golden Buffs (a production hybrid) are the friendly ones that like being held.

Take care and have a great day,
    Sharon

1 person likes this.
  5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I wonder what house chickens do about the urge to scratch?

6. nc farm

Feb 13, 2013
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks for the input, Sharon. I would really like her to be part of the flock, but she is soooo tame with people, yet seems scared to death of chickens. She is not even afraid of our 3 dogs or the barn cat. I will give her a little more time out with the flock, but if she continues to be missing at rousting time, I may put her in a small coop in the screen porch. I would hate for something to happen to her! Will check back in a few days with her progress. Thanks again! :D

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Please do let us know how she does..love her already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by