1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping a lame quail as a pet

Discussion in 'Quail' started by City Chicken, Mar 15, 2013.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    My son would like to keep a quail in his room. We don't really want smelly animals in the house, but one of the quail is lame in one foot. We thought it might be ok if it was a female... Would still lay eggs, but it looks like a male, pretty sure. It will not be able to mount a female with its foot like that. It will be killed or perhaps just fight a lot. So, what if that quail became the inside pet?

Would he do ok. Or would he be too lonely? What if he had one hen with him? Would that work?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    A lone bird will work out ok if you give it a lot of attention. Leaving it alone in a cage for most of it's life and yes, it would be lonely. But if you get it out of the cage and spend time with it in a proper way, they can be quite content as indoor house pets. I know a few people that have lone quail inside the house. They have spoiled these birds rotten and the birds thrive on the attention.

The only reason this bird would smell was if you did not clean up after it often enough. I would recommend sand for litter to absorb moisture and smell and clean up daily and there should be no stink at all.

3. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Thanks! He will be glad to hear this!

4. NicoleRook

NicoleRook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Lake Community, NJ
    Just a question, when you refer to sand, do you mean like the clumping cat litter or actual sand? Thanks

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Actual sand. Beach sand, river sand, play sand, even parakeet grit works well. I use it in my chicken coops and runs, quail aviaries, parrot cages and all brooders as well. Sand for everybody! I love the stuff and it is really absorbent, there is no stink from any birds and it is excellent for birds foot pads. Very easy to clean as well.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  6. NicoleRook

NicoleRook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Lake Community, NJ
    Awesome information, I had no idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by