Keeping a neutered rooster for flock protection

Pack27

Hatching
Dec 11, 2022
I did some research for a while this morning and I found quite a few articles about caponizing roosters. All of them seemed to be related to doing it for getting better meat out of the bird. They also all seemed to reference having to do it at a relatively young age, but did not specify why, other than that it‘s the best way to curb their aggressive instincts and meat quality. Many of them also recommended separating unwanted roosters into a different flock, but then you lose the benefit of their protection. I’m also aware that caponizing roosters is illegal in some parts of the world.

My thought is, wouldn’t it be potentially useful to keep a rooster that has all the normal characteristics of a rooster but is incapable of fertilization? (for those of us that simply can’t sustain a larger flock)

Maybe the process of capitalizing them removes their aggressive/protective instincts? I’d like to see if y’all have any info on this. Linked sources would be appreciated if you know of any that have more info about this specifically.

Sounds like when you caponize the rooster it looses a lot of its "rooster" characteristics... Basically turning it into a docile, mild mannered bird. They lose aggresion and energy, and in turn the drive to protect a flock.
I dont believe this procedure would benefit anything other than meat quality. You will not get a rooster who wants to protect a flock, you'll get a fat lazy roo who is not interested in being a hero. 🤷‍♀️

I'd gotten a free cockerel that I thought of having neutered to keep as a docile pet, and called around at various vets, but no one would do it, claiming he was too old for it. He was only around 12 weeks old. >.> From what I read, the older they are, the more difficult it is to get to the testes. Also, a lot of the articles say it's to be done without anesthetic, not even a local one.

I'd gotten a free cockerel that I thought of having neutered to keep as a docile pet, and called around at various vets, but no one would do it, claiming he was too old for it. He was only around 12 weeks old. >.> From what I read, the older they are, the more difficult it is to get to the testes. Also, a lot of the articles say it's to be done without anesthetic, not even a local one.
No anesthetics. Birds don't handle them well.

It's also based on weight. Too light and he doesn't have enough blood and the testes may be too small. And then age makes them tougher when trying to remove. It's the sweet spot between that you've gotta find

You will not get a rooster who wants to protect a flock, you'll get a fat lazy roo who is not interested in being a hero.
Back in the late 70's, when I was in the 4-H, we raised 300 "Capons" a year. The local Cooperative Extension would "Caponize" the chicks for the kids. (This doesn't happen anymore because there are now "meat birds" that get "fat and lazy" without it.) They were very docile birds. Wasn't a protective bird in the flock!

To give you an idea of why caponizing has to be done very young, when I butcher 4 month cockerels I frequently find that their testicles are larger than their heads (which may also explain many other things about newly matured cockerels 😉)

To compare the effect, think of the difference between and intact tomcat that roams, fights, sprays, etc. and a neutered male cat that exists only to soak up cuddles.

My thought is, wouldn’t it be potentially useful to keep a rooster that has all the normal characteristics of a rooster but is incapable of fertilization?
One reason you neuter certain male meat animals like calves, pigs, goats, and cockerels is that stops the hormones from flavoring and adding texture to the meat. They also grow faster. Neutering also takes away the aggression so you can keep many males together. I totally agree, the neutered capons are no better for flock protection than a hen.

(for those of us that simply can’t sustain a larger flock)
That's easy. Do not incubate the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom