keeping a new bird warm all by herself

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jodyb, Dec 29, 2012.

1. jodyb

jodyb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Deep Gap, North Carolina
    I may be getting a chicken to eventually put with my other two. A friend has one of her last two killed while away for the holidays
    and is afraid this last one may be lonely.

I have heard you need to quarantine a new chicken for up to two weeks. This means she would be in a coop all by herself and our temps are going to the 20's. The small coop is not insulated. Can I put a heating pad with a stuffed animal in there to keep her warm and feeling like she is not alone? How long should I quarantine her? I don't think she is sick but I know birds get immunities to different diseases. She was bitten by a hawk but she got away. The feathers are growing back which is another concern. Will my two birds, who are very close, mother and daughter, peck on the new one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

jodyb

2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    I heard you need to quarantine for 30 days. I bought a rooster and introduced him to my flock right away and all my girls got sick. IT ISN'T WORTH IT! Your new girl needs to be in that other coop so they don't even breathe the same air (some diseases are airborne). Personally I would put a brooder lamp and a stuffed animal inside the coop with your new hen. A lot of people wouldn't even place a lamp in there because It would get her used to that heat and her feathers won't grow out thicker. Your current birds WILL pick on the new comer to establish the pecking order which usually takes about two weeks.

1 person likes this.
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If bird more that 12 weeks old, no heating should be required although a wind break is good. This assumes it is not some sort of funky chicken with odd looking feathers.

4. jodyb

jodyb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Deep Gap, North Carolina
    Thank you! I think I will keep no light on as she is at a cooler elevation now (mountains) and seems fine. But I will put a stuffed animal in there with her and if it gets very cold and windy, I will secure a quilted blanket to keep the wind out.

Jodyb

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Make certain bird goes to bed with full crop. Frequent access water will help with food consumption, especially if most of feed is of the manufactured kind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by