Keeping a pair of Muscovy Drakes? Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scooter1989, May 5, 2017.

1. scooter1989

scooter1989 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    Hello fellow Duck friends! Im in need of your personal experience advice on keeping a pair of Muscovy Drakes only, without any hens. I've had my duck Skip for 3 years now and he been a part of our family since, more like a dog than a duck! I have to admit, he has a great story in our lives so far, pretty crazy and funny to. So anyways, im looking to get him either a buddy or a mate, but having a difficult time deciding on which would be best for him. One because he did had 2 hens at separate times. The first hen died due to congestive heart failure and the second one went missing about 6 months ago. He was a great father too, always protecting his ducklings with the hens, sometimes he'd be baby sitting them when the hens leave for hours. The other reason i cant decide is because i rather not worrie about dealing with ducklings again, even though i so adore them! It was just to much trouble with me and my niebors, along with our city getting involved, but they are cool with me keeping my ducks at a minimum.

My drake Skip is always free range and never locked up, he does has a nice big sized wooden duck house he used occasionally in bad weathers. I have it more for an emergency purpose to keep him safe, if predators start coming around at night. We live on a 2 acer property on a nice sized Lake with a nice family of wild mute swan living right next to use, the odds are that skipper spends alot of time with them and they like him, even though they attack and chase all the other wild waterfowls on our lake. So basically Skip is a free bird and he loves to fly around our lake and always land back at the house, he never leaves. He is very comfortable around certain people, especially are family. He even knows the word step up to climb on to my arms. He's very smart and survived a few fox attacks, probably because he's strong. So im telling you his background so that you guys can get a better idea on his living condition and help me decide which is best for him, to either get him another drake so we wouldn't have to worrie about dealing with ducklings and snatching thire eggs? Or just go with a hen and then just take the eggs away? Last time i did this, the hen just found another spot wear I couldn't fine her and she surprised me with 18 ducklings! LOL

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by