Keeping a rooster vs. being a nice neighbor

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by naturababe, Oct 16, 2011.

1. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    Two of our neighbors have complained about our rooster. one is way down the street and lets his dog roam loose so I don't really care about what he thinks but the other is our next door neighbor. honestly, we never see them and have no "neighborly" relationship but what is the moral thing to do? is there one? we live in a town that when i called the building inspector to ask about coops and rules he told me "this is a farm town, you can do anything you want" and from all the research I've done, that's true. the neighbors have no "legal" right to force us to get rid of the rooster but should we? I know the crowing at 5:30 am is annoying but man do they watch out for the hens and we have SO many hawks and foxes, etc.

I'd really love some opinions on this one. thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

All you have to do is make it dark for the roo until the time you want.

Curtains over windows or put him in a darkened crate in the coop, etc.

Voila! No crowing until he sees that it is light!!!

3. jelly_biscuit

jelly_biscuit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Personally, I'd just do it (and I am doing it). I have a legal right to keep one rooster. If they were to complain, I would be nice and apologize and offer them eggs. If that wasn't enough for them, I would (as nicely as I could) explain that I'm not breaking any laws or city ordinances. We don't all have to like what our neighbors do and that goes both ways. If they wanted to do something within their rights, I don't think they are in any way obligated to keep me happy.

4. naturababe

Apr 1, 2010
    really?? it's dark here at 5:30 am, well, it's before sunrise, not sure how much darker i could make it. hmm. worth a try though. thanks!

5. naturababe

Apr 1, 2010
    Quote:how close are your neighbors? we have four acres but the lots are kind of skinny so our neighbors are closer then we would like.

6. jelly_biscuit

Mar 24, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Quote:how close are your neighbors? we have four acres but the lots are kind of skinny so our neighbors are closer then we would like.

Mine are really close. We have about 1/3 acre.

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    You could try to insulate too coop a little better. A gift of eggs may make them feel bad about complaining too. I have night crowers.....7 of them. Fortunately my neighbors like roos so there have been no issues. Good thing because I probably wouldn't get rid of them anyway. People should pay attention to zoning classifications before they buy the house. IMO

8. naturababe

Apr 1, 2010
    oh wow. so do you know if they can complain and take it to any kind of council or something like that in your area? i guess my husband is worried that they will make a huge stink.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Hmmm....my roos don't crow unless they hear a noise or it gets light.

Sorry bout that!!

10. jelly_biscuit

Mar 24, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Quote:They could complain about noise, just like I could complain if they had a barking dog. You wouldn't be in trouble, though. I would imagine that the worst thing that could happen is that you would have to get rid of your rooster, and I'm betting that even that wouldn't happen if roosters are allowed where you live. Can you see the city making someone give up their dog because it barked? I don't think so. I don't know of any complaints thus far. We have a friendly relationship with one neighbor and he's never said anything. I couldn't pick the other neighbors out of a line-up, though. If they've complained it hasn't been to us. Now, I'm no expert, but I really wouldn't worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by