Keeping a Rooster with my hens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clayb226, Apr 2, 2011.

1. clayb226

clayb226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Hello all,
    I have 10 laying hens, that I bought for the youngsters, and I now have a stray rooster hanging around. I think it may be a RIR, but not for sure. I was wondering the pros and cons of keeping him in my pen. The kids are checking the eggs daily, so how are their temperament and the such. I do not want to have to kill him due to him flogging the kids.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Do you have a pic? Where did he come from? Not all roosters are mean.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Although I always say I would love to have a stray rooster join my flock, I already have a zillion roosters of my own. If a stray that didn't grow up with mine wandered in, I'm not sure they would accept him.

But I'm still jealous of the natural bonus!

Roosters are wonderful for a flock, in my (not so humble) opinion. They stop hen squabbles, they watch out for predators - although they may not survive a predator attack, they certainly can sound the alarm so the hens take cover - and a good roo will treat his ladies well. He'll find goodies for them and call them over to partake of the prize. He generally makes sure everybody is in the coop at night before he settles down (maybe, maybe not).

5. austinandkara

austinandkara Out Of The Brooder

It just depends on the rooster. We had a RIR rooster in the past and he was very docile. It all depends on the individual, though.

6. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:I do not have pictures yet, but will take some of him, and his ladies. There are several stray roosters around town here, along with turkeys and guineas. When we first got our hens, a couple weeks ago, about 3 stray roosters were coming by, but this big red one decided he wanted to hang around, and fought all the others out of the yard. Now they no longer come around, this guy stays outside the pen all day, until about 10 minutes ago, now he is in the pen with the hens. He seems timid of me, but lets us get some what close. I will try to take pictures later and post them.
    Thanks, have a great day, and be blessed.

7. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    I posted pictures of my hens, and the ex-stray rooster here.
    I think the rooster may be a RIR, but not sure of the hens.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  8. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Sorry everyone, my link was wrong, it works now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by