Keeping a turkey alone, or with older

Roree-23

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011
So i put 6 posted turkey eggs under my broody orpington and we have ended up with only one egg with a live chick in. I have contacted a few people about getting turkeys and I have found some 3 week old turkeys.
If this turkey does hatch then is it best to keep it alone or introduce it to older turkeys asap. Or would it be best to let it stay with the chicken and risk disease?

Thanks

Personally I would think its ok to let it stay with the chicken, if that is the first thing it sees when it hatches it will be "mommy" lol. Alot of folks on here keep chickens and turkeys together but its at your own risk of course. If you were going to get turkeys that are 3 weeks old then wait for the egg to hatch then the new turkeys you get might be the size of a chicken by time the egg hatches, my 3 week old poults are roughly the size of my 5 week old black sex link chicks.

if you put poults with chickens at a young age will they be more likely to be immune to chicken diseases?

Quote:
The issue is blackhead disease, which is a parasite. I don't think there is any such thing as "immunity" to it. Chickens get it, but tolerate it and it doesn't really hurt them, but they are carriers and spread it. Turkeys get it and often die from it. I guess it's not all that common, and occurs in pockets. A lot of people don't ever have a problem mixing chickens and turkeys, others do.

Quote:
The issue is blackhead disease, which is a parasite. I don't think there is any such thing as "immunity" to it. Chickens get it, but tolerate it and it doesn't really hurt them, but they are carriers and spread it. Turkeys get it and often die from it. I guess it's not all that common, and occurs in pockets. A lot of people don't ever have a problem mixing chickens and turkeys, others do.

ok then. thanks.

So turkey egg has now pipped and I was wondering how long it will be till it is out
fl.gif
all goes well.
Our last turkeys were not pipped when we went to bed and the next day we had fluffy ones.

Quote:
Seems like it always happens when you're asleep or away. I think emerging birds have stage fright!

-S

My birds certainly seem to! I feel like it's christmas eve or something, may have to go to bed early; but not sure how I will sleep knowing there is a little turkey on the way!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom