1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping a Turkey with Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Misfit Farm, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Misfit Farm

Misfit Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2007
    Reno, NV
    So today I was surfing Craigslist (I need to stay off of there [​IMG]). I came a cross an ad for a Turkey hen that needed a home. She was rescued from being Thanksgiving dinner and the girl that rescued her lived in town. I told her that I could take her if she would fit through the doors of my hen chickens house. So she has come home with me. My question is, I have 7 adult hens, 2 adult roosters, 4 2 month old pullets and now this 1 year old Turkey hen - All are housed together. What should I be feeding? Before I had the pullets and the Turkey I fed Layena, currently I am feeding non medicated Start and Grow due to the pullets. Are these ok for a Turkey to eat? Thanks.

Jen

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That'll work nicely for the turkey because turkeys generally need more protein than chickens do. The start and grow usually has more protein than a layer feed. Good luck with the turkey.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I have one turkey and three ducks in with my chickens, I usually feed all flock to mine. What breed of turkey is she?

4. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    That's awesome that this girl rescued the turkey and you gave it a home. I would have done the same thing. I'm a Craig's List addict myself and have saved a few things off there too. I wish I could save them all. Good luck!

5. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    It will be fine I have a Tom and a hen in with my birds and I feed a layer pellet to all.

6. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I had a standard bronze tom in with 5 hens and a rooster. I fed them Purina Flock raiser which does not have added calcuium. I then free fed oyster shell for calcium. The turkey was invited to dinner, but I still feed my flock this way. The rooster then does not get extra calcium he does not need that would be in regular layer formulated feed.

7. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I suggest crack corn. The world's most universal winter ration!

8. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:the most universal, poor choice... cracked corn doens't have enough of anything in it, except energy to make it worthwhile to purchase....

I'd cut my losses, and butcher the turkey, it will save you TONS on feed bill, and be enjoyable treat for the holidays...

9. mr.hutch23

mr.hutch23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    I've read that turkeys are can be carriers of a disease called "black head" that is fatal to chickens and that turkeys shouldn't be kept with chickens. I think that was in Damerows chicken book but I'm not sure.

10. WVchick71

WVchick71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Small Town
    I use to have a Turkey in with my chickens and they all ate out of the same feeder. She did great! Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by