1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

keeping algae out of water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gobblecluck, Jul 30, 2010.

1. gobblecluck

gobblecluck Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    talladega, alabama
    i am about to build a watering system with a 55 gallon plastic drum, with a pvc manifold that has five hoses, each one of these hoses is going to be connected to a five gallon bucket with two poultry nipples in the bottom of it and each of my coops will have one of these buckets in it. since the system will always have water in it i am wondering how i will keep the algae out in the summer. i am thinking acv will be too expensive and i dont think that really controls the algae that well anyway.

2. hellafarms

hellafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Keeping it in the shade would help,and I love the idea.[​IMG]

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    try chlorine bleach arond 5 ppm small dose . Maybe try a 5 gallon bucket with like 1 teaspoon and set out for a week to see if algea builds up. We live in a microscopic town, but it has a water system, with a automatic chlorinater so algea never builds up in our animal waterers. Maybe you can find the proper ppm [parts per million] for drinking water at ask.com or something. Good luck I plan on making a waterer like that also. hope this helps!

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    ACV controls it GREAT. I was scrubbing dog water buckets every three days because they were green, I recently started putting about a teaspoon in a 3 gallon bucket, no algae AT ALL.

5. SG_Chicken

SG_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    I use ACV too. The girls didn't even notice a change at all.

6. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Quote:what is ACV?

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:what is ACV?

Apple Cider Vinegar

8. SG_Chicken

SG_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar

9. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    thanks wolfwoman

10. LVVCHAP

LVVCHAP Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    PA
    Copper works well too. I put a couple of pennies in the dog dish and a small copper pipe fitting in the 5 gal. bucket for the chickens. The dog dish gets sun and will grow some but not near as fast as it did before. The bucket is in the shade and I change the water every week, but there is no algea to clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by