Keeping apex predators at bay

Bigforkechn_Rooster

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2017
I have 46 chickens; RI reds, Delawares, Araucanas, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Red & Black Stars, White Rocks, Black Australorps, and White Wyandottes. I am raising them in Montana, not far from Glacier National Park. I started with 36 chicks in May but lost 5 to hawks when they reached pullet size. I acquired an additional 15 layers from a co-worker who wanted to get out the chicken business. I've built a 32' square coop that is divided to keep the pullets separated from the layers. I have 2 hen houses with plenty of roosting space. I used 6' square wire fencing to keep the predators at bay. Since losing the pullets to hawks I have covered the entire coop with plastic netting. I have wrapped electric fencing around the entire coop to discourage bears, mountain lions, etc from trying to get to my birds. Any suggestions on how to keep my birds safe? The soil is so rocky I don't think any critters will be able to dig under the fence in one night.

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
We are so glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

I recommend using fencing that has holes no larger than a half inch.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

I have 46 chickens; RI reds, Delawares, Araucanas, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Red & Black Stars, White Rocks, Black Australorps, and White Wyandottes. I am raising them in Montana, not far from Glacier National Park. I started with 36 chicks in May but lost 5 to hawks when they reached pullet size. I acquired an additional 15 layers from a co-worker who wanted to get out the chicken business. I've built a 32' square coop that is divided to keep the pullets separated from the layers. I have 2 hen houses with plenty of roosting space. I used 6' square wire fencing to keep the predators at bay. Since losing the pullets to hawks I have covered the entire coop with plastic netting. I have wrapped electric fencing around the entire coop to discourage bears, mountain lions, etc from trying to get to my birds. Any suggestions on how to keep my birds safe? The soil is so rocky I don't think any critters will be able to dig under the fence in one night.
:welcome
You might think about getting some guineafowl as an alarm system. Guineas will definitely let you know if there are any predators nearby, at least during the daylight hours (they are practically useless at night). Anytime there were hawks, eagles, fox, coyote, etc, my guineas would go crazy and alarm loudly. Wild birds and rabbits would always hang out in my coop because they knew the guinea alert system would sound whenever there was a hawk or eagle in the vicinity.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow welded wire is your friend. Just fyi, I've had owls bounce off my wire covered shelters at night and hawks do the same in the daytime...

Have a friend, DW's cousin that lives near Eureka Montana.
Sounds like you've done everything you can to protect your flock. Hawks are my #1 most hated predator.
Everything else I've already shot..

Yes hawks are hanging around. So far my netting works good
I bought netting I think it was Lowe's? 7'x100' was only $15?
Cut it in half and zip tied it together so 14x50 run. Worked great the first yr and survived winter, second winter we had one really heavy wet snowfall that tore it down. I need to get it back up, fall seems to be the worst here. I think it's young birds feeling their snot or maybe they have no luck and are hungry so target what they wouldn't normally? The hawks that nailed them weren't big enough to carry them too far anyway.
Never thought I'd have a skunk as a predator but just recently had one get some broody hatched chicks at night and one young one from another coop.
Havahart trap (Not what I wanted to find in it) and its been eliminated with minimal smell :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom