keeping babies warm

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kdcolorado, May 11, 2011.

1. kdcolorado

kdcolorado Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    I just got my first 16 pullets today. Im finding it difficult to keep the brooder temp at 100 degrees.
    I have a 100 watt bulb wtih reflector 19 inches from floor, they are in a 20 gallon reptile tank. I even have a heating pad
    underneath and a space heater in the room. Its snowing out! lol
    The temp fluctuates from over 100 to under 90 at times. Any suggestions? Will they be safe and warm?
    They seem to have grown since I got them at 7am this morning and I also wonder if this tank will be enough space for them.

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Do they seem comfortable? I've found that chicks don't necessarily need to be at 100 degrees. In fact, the only chicks I've ever seen using heat lamps are ones I have mail ordered, ones I hatch myself never want the heat and are happy at room temperature.

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    The temp in the brooder needs to be 95-90... Not 100

4. kdcolorado

May 11, 2011
    My chicks came from a hatchery in Missouri so they arrived by mail They are very lively and they go through tons of water. I have the bottom covered with paper towel
    and chick starter feed and its all wet now. lol Should i change it b4 i go to sleep tonight. And how much room do they really need cuz they sure seem to be growing already.
    oh and thanks for the input....this is my first time having chicks.

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Most say 1/2 square foot per bird... I try to go with 1 so I can keep them in the brooder for a few weeks...

6. kdcolorado

May 11, 2011
    Thank You for all the info. I do appreciate it. It appears my 20 gallon reptile tank is not going to be big enough for 16 chicks. I will have to build a much larger brooder:) tomorrow for them.

7. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    They will outgrow that tank REAL FAST....start looking for a nice BIG box. Boxes work great and the price is right. You can also use an extra large Rubbermaid container.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by