keeping baby chicks warm

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by big chic, Apr 7, 2012.

1. big chic

big chic New Egg

Apr 7, 2012
    I am very new to this. I got 5 chicks one week ago. They were supposed to be 1-1 1/2 weeks old then. I have kept them in the laundry room and they seem to be doing very well. I have been reading about keeping a light on them at temperatures of 80-85 degrees. I have been keeping the house furnave on at night but it is not 80 degrees in here. Do they really need this extra warm temperature? If it is a comforable temperature in my house, isn't that enough? I am not comfortable keeping a light on them. I am afraid I will have it too hot. I have had them 1 week and they seem fine. should I be able to tell if htey are too cold?
    I would like to let them outside for a while in the day. The ouside temperature is about 70 degrees. My coop is not built yet and I can only imagine how worried I will be when they go outside by themselves. Is this extra warm temperature so they will survive or does it have something to do with their development? Thank you.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I am not alone on BYC in feeling that we tend to keep them too warm. If they spread out when they sleep, they are fine, IMO. If they're cold, they will pile one on top of another. They will cuddle or snuggle up against one another if they are comfortable, but not pile. Years ago I saw some chicks who got too cold and had piled and suffocated the ones on the bottom: they were about 5 deep. These chicks were outdoors in a shed with one 100 watt light bulb, in winter temps, and they were a few days old.

The last time I raised chicks, they were in the coop from day one with a heat lamp. Nights were below 70. At 3 weeks I turned off the heat lamp, because they slept cuddled up in a corner of their pen (which is about a 5'x5' corner of the coop) about 3' away from the heat -- as far as they could get from the heat. The heat lamp was about 3' above the floor, and my coop is very open air, so it couldn't have been providing much heat, anyway.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Frankly? If they aren't peeping loudly? They likely are fine. The first week, they like the 90 degree temps, but after that they adjust quickly to 75 degrees, if that is what you've kept them. If they had been cold, they would have peeped bloody murder. If they are content and happy, I'd not worry about a thing.

The only danger of having the temps too cool is piling on and smothering issues. If you've not had that? You're fine. Excessive heat is much worse for them, to be sure.

4. big chic

big chic New Egg

Apr 7, 2012
    Thank you so much for your reply. They are still inside and doing fine. I did put a desk lampove a portion of the container. At the end of this week, they will go out to the garage with a lamp over them. My husband says they have been in the laundry room long enough. They will like a bit more room I am sure. Do you have a suggestion about feed? I really do not want a feed with unnecessay hormones or antibiotics. I want eggs good for my grandchildren and I want a healthy feed for the chickens. Thank you. Barbara Chambers St. Louis, MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by