Keeping baby geese and ducks with chicks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicka_chicka_boom_boom, Apr 22, 2009.

1. chicka_chicka_boom_boom

chicka_chicka_boom_boom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Eaton County, MI
    Hello,

I am a new poultry mommy! We got our first chicks and ducks and geese just a week ago today, and they are all living together in a wooden brooder box in our laundry room.

We now have 2 African geese, 4 fawn & white runner ducks, 6 assorted bantam chicks, and 27 assorted baby chicks.

The birds seem to be getting along pretty well, despite what the people at TSC told me today. The chicks step all over the geese and ducks, and they all cuddle up together to go to sleep. I have to get a picture of the fuzzy pile of babies soon. The bigger goose (I'm hoping we got a boy and a girl, of course) will sometimes come and stand at the end of the box and yell at you when you come in to visit... like he's already on guard... so cute.

My question is about the water... the ducks really make a big mess with the water, so I was thinking of separating them from the chicks and putting them in a big plastic tote so the water spillage won't soak into the box so much. This was my plan UNTIL today, when the remainder of our order of chicks came from the co-op. 12 of our new chicks are just a day old, while the rest are a week old. The people at TSC insist that I have to keep the chicks separated, and I really DON'T want to set up 3 brooders... I will have to move them to the garage sooner than planned.

Has anyone here raised their ducklings and goslings right along with their chicks, and what recommendations do you have? I have them all on "flock-raiser" non-medicated feed right now, but was going to put the ducks and geese in the plastic bin, so I could also start with the medicated feed for the chicks.

I know that ducks will be ducks, but how can I make this a happy home for everyone? (here are some pictures of my babies...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    I would keep the water foul and chicks separate not just due to the water issue but the water foul will quickly out grow the chicks.

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    ducklings and goslings are fine togehter,but I wouldnt keep them with the chicks.
    They are very messy and grow and alot faster.

4. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    I just want to say [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chicka_chicka_boom_boom

chicka_chicka_boom_boom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Eaton County, MI
    I can see your points...

You know, I didn't even realize how much these babies have grown, until I posted and then viewed these pictures I took last week... wow! They don't have feathers like the chicks, but they sure are putting on some body mass fast.

I'm amazed at watching these birds develop. The geese and ducks have these puny little winglets, while the chicks are flapping their feathers around. I think I might just wait until feeding time and move the ducks and geese out, put all the chicks together, stay close and watch carefully.

6. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I got the idea from someone on this site to sit your duckling's water container inside of a 9 x 13 cake pan or similar. I am using the top of a tupperware cake container. It helps keep some of the water they splash around out of the bedding. The bedding was soaked as soon as i changed it before. Now it still gets wet but the cake container is catching most of the water. Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by