Keeping bantam, medium and heavy breed chickens in one flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BHigher, May 21, 2010.

1. BHigher

BHigher New Egg

May 7, 2010
    I'm trying to plan which type of hens to get (as day olds) when I start my flock. I'd like standard Ameraucana/Easter Egger, Brahma, Cochin, Buff Orphington, but I'd also like to get bantam Silkie and Mille Fleur. My question is, in a smaller run is there any harm with mixing sizes of hens? I know they'll determine the pecking order, but I'd like to keep the flock happy starting out too. Also, I read that Ameraucana's are about 4.5 lbs where Brahmas are 9lbs. Any concerns there?

2. For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Washington State
    I'm no expert, but we had one bantam brahma in with standards (RIR, Barred Rocks, Golden Comets). We bought her because she was the runt and was left all alone chirping her head off at the feed store. She grew up with all the others and maintained her place about mid-level in the pecking order. We also have a standard size rooster and they figured out the whole mating thing too. She always laid fertile eggs. She was tiny, right around a pound if that, and our roo is probably 6-8 pounds. She held her own though with the other hens and I'm not sure how a more docile breed would be. (We lost her to a dog a couple of weeks ago, which I am sure was because of her "In your face" personality. She wasn't afraid of anything.)

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have an accidental bantam brahma hen in with the rest of my flock, all LF brahmas; including a 13 lb. rooster.
    Maggie is a fiesty one and does just fine. She's at the top of the pecking order. I do free range all day, but even if I didn't I think Maggie would still be ruling the roost.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Maggie doesn't get squished or hurt by the roo, does she? I'm worried about the new bantams I'm integrating into my flock...

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    They should be fine! I have pretty big marans all the way down to bantam cochins and silkies.. with a standard ee roo. All are fine and generally happy. [​IMG]

6. BHigher

BHigher New Egg

May 7, 2010
    Well darn it...I (or should I say my husband) was partly hoping this would somehow be a reason for limiting the size of my flock. [​IMG] It seems the more time I take to think about what hens to select, the more I find I like. [​IMG]

I think my original plans for a small coop will have to be revised. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Maggie doesn't get squished or hurt by the roo, does she? I'm worried about the new bantams I'm integrating into my flock...

No, I see her with a misplaced feather now and then, but he hasn't hurt her.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:CHICKEN MATH!!!

May I strongly suggest you build the coop larger NOW, because otherwise you'll end up doing what I did and have to build more of 'em as the number of chickens increases. Without benefit of eggs hatching, I mean. I don't know how that happens, but it does.

I'm due to pick up some more feed this weekend - be strong, Linda, be strong. NO MORE CHICKS!

9. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Going back, I am having problems with a very large roo breaking the feathers off the smaller chicks backs. The big ones fare well so just watch for that they may need saddles. I am building a bachelor pad now because I just don't like my hens to look like that. Gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by