Keeping Becky warm this winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NeeCee51, Sep 14, 2013.

1. NeeCee51

NeeCee51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    Does anyone have a suggestion to keep Becky warm this winter. We live in NC and the winters here (from what the locals tell me) are not usually too bad. Since I only have one chicken which is a small little girl can't snuggle up with other chickens to keep warm. Not a fan of heat lamps and we have no electricity out by her coop anyway. I had heard that as long as they stay dry and out of a draft they should be fine. Like I said she is all by herself so I am a little concerned. Thanks, NeeCee

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Why not get a couple more hens for her to snuggle with. Imagine being outside all by yourself I bet it gets pretty lonely, it would be a win win for everyone.

3. NeeCee51

Aug 12, 2013
    Believe me I want to but with her bad infected leg that we are treating right now the vet said to wait. I agree she is lonely and I want her to have friends but she was attacked by the neighbors rooster and his 5 hens so I think she is scared of other chickens. (Pecking and such). Do you think if I get chicks or juveniles it would be easier?

4. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    It might be easier for them to ajust

5. NeeCee51

Aug 12, 2013
    Thanks jetdog, I am going to start looking for some younger ones...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by