keeping bedding IN the coop!

robomb

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Northern Vermont
I have 7 girls who are 15 weeks old today - whoa - where did the time go?!? I started using straw for their litter/bedding when they were just baby chicks; I've tried using some pine shavings, but they get so freaked out by it because it's different than the straw. I've noticed that every single time I clean the coop, about 75% of the straw ends up outside the door, and very little stays inside (as they forage around and scratch looking for goodies). Should I put a lip on the door to keep the straw inside? Winter is right around the corner, and I'm a little worried that there won't be enough to keep them warm. Tonight will be in the mid-30's, and our first snow is forecast for tomorrow, although it will likely be a bunch of slush. Tomorrow night will be in the 20's however.

Has anyone dealt with this (silly question... )? Better - HOW have people dealt with this?

They are out most of the day rain or shine - can hardly wait to see what they do in the snow
smile.png

I have a piece of 2x4 lying in front of the door to help keep the shavings in. It doesn't stop all of them, but does help. I don't have it fastened down so that when I get ready to clean out the coop in the spring I can just move it & then replace it when I'm done.

I sure have! I use the pine shavings, and my bantams are always kicking some out into the run every single day. So I have to replace it. And silly me, I don't like to see the shavings all over the sandy run, so I'm raking that out every day to make it look "neat". LOL I did put a piece of split firewood right in front of their door to help keep the shavings in, and it has helped a little bit, but they still get some out.

A lip is a good idea.

I opened up a cardboard box that 9" high and the flap is the stand. Like a long "L" and propped it with bricks. The kids eventually tear down everything. They are kids so expect it. but the open cardboard box as a temp thing works just great to keep the shavings where it belongs . The best thing about cardboard is you can just go get another one, right??

My pop doors are 12" to 14" above the coop floor. I have no problems with the shavings getting kicked outside into the run. Works Great!

LOL...If yours turn out to be like mine in the snow, they will just peek out from the pop door(laughing)while you are clearing their run of the killer white stuff.

We don't have nearly as much straw coming out of our coop as you mentioned, but I am thinking that something needs to be done anyways because small baled straw is hard to find where we're at.
I'm thinking for the human door putting a piece of plywood cut to the width of the door frame and only about 2 ft high, then put hinges on one side of the door frame that we would need to push inwards. That way the bedding would be sweeped back into the coop.
For the chicken door, something like SteveBaz mentioned "L-shaped", but made of again from plywood, and attached to the inside of their door frame. This would also help prevent drafts in our coop because it would aim the drafts at a wall, since the door is on the far side.

The first thing that came to mind when the others mentioned a 2x4? ... both me and my bf would trip on it!!!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom