Keeping birds cool?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sevenchickens7, Jun 18, 2016.

1. sevenchickens7

sevenchickens7 Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2016
    Kansas
    Could anyone offer some tips to a newbie on ways to keep your flock cool in the sweltering Kansas summer heat? And ways to encourage them to drink?

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Electrolytes in the water, frozen watermelon treats

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Provide shade and supply COLD water several times daily. You can also put ice blocks in their waterers to keep the water cool. In times of excessive heat, I supply fresh cold water at least 3 times daily.

1 person likes this.
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    When is gets really hot I make so they have access to ground that is shaded. They can dump heat though their feet. Wetting that ground the evening before can help cool it. Make so when they are in those shaded locations they also have a breeze so they can dump heat by spreading wings and orienting towards incoming air movement. Keep water present and in shaded location so they do not have to get into sun for a drink. Mine drink lots of water even when water is very warm. The ingested water enables evaporation cooling associated with panting. In addition to a cover over their heads, make so that is in the shade as well. Otherwise sunlight striking cover overhead will be transformed into heat that radiates as infrared locally heating area below it. Restrict feed so most intake late in evening and early in the morning. I also expect less in terms of egg production.

Hens in lay and broody hens particularly stressed by the heat.

1 person likes this.
  5. PeachLily

PeachLily Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2016
    After reading suggestions on other threads I froze a 1/4 watermelon and my 11 chickens loved it-lasted 4-5 hours and I noticed they didn't drink as much water that day. I am also going to try a large shallow plastic bin with play sand soaked in water. I read some chickens won't go into a kiddie pool with water so I thought the wet sand instead was a great idea. Other folks use box fans, I saw a couple clever ideas for homemade Chicken AC -- one was a small metal trash can on its side with a milk jug frozen with water placed inside and the other was a "box" made of water soaked cinder block with some kind of roof, maybe a tarp -- the poster said the evaporation off the cinder block made it cool. Any kind of frozen fruit/veggie treats.

6. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    As others have said, I give them ice water. I fill 20-ounce soda bottles with water and freeze them and I keep a gallon of water in the refrigerator. Three or four times a day, I take an ice bottle and the refrigerated water out and l dump the waterer. The chickens come running from all quarters (they free-range) when they see me with the bottles. I put the ice bottle in and pour the cold water over the frozen bottle. They love the cold water and jockey for position so they can drink as I'm pouring it, like a fountain. I don't have to encourage them to drink; they eagerly drink the cold water.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by