Keeping birds out of the coop.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zen-D-Chicken, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Zen-D-Chicken

Zen-D-Chicken New Egg

Sep 10, 2010
    New to the forums and asking my first ?

What can I use to keep birds out of the coop?
    We have been going through feed like crazy the last few weeks, so I watched to see what was happening, besides the normal spill over by our ladies, I saw all the wild birds getting inside the coop and eating the food.

I dont mind the birds picking up the extra scratch we put out when the ladies are free in the yard, but eating their food in the coop is enough.

The coop is made of chicken wire and the small birds fit right through the holes.

Is there some kind of netting I could get to drape over it without blocking out the weather for the ladies to enjoy, or making it too stuffy for them?

Thanks.
    Zen

2. 4luvofchickens

4luvofchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    I have used deer netting that i had left over from my garden. You can get it by the roll pretty cheap.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Home Depot has "deer netting" that is really cheep. Watch though, the deer netting they sell is the exact same as the bird netting but cheaper. You can install it with zip-ties over your existing wire. It's not so great if you have a large population of large lizards as they easily get caught in it. BTW, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by