Keeping Canada Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mahsmaj, Jul 15, 2008.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Ok. So a Canada goose came to my pond all by itself. I put out a whole bunch of corn for it to eat. What else can I do to increase the chances that it stays around???

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You need to leave wild canadian geese alone. Only wildlife rehabbers are allowed to relocate them.

It doesn't hurt to feed them [​IMG] If you plan to feed it give it something better than corn. Take it some chicken feed and green leafy veggies.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    You might want to have second thoughts about trying to get that goose to stay. It WILL attract others. Geese here in Michigan are becoming a real problem. They produce up to 1 pound of feces per day and the multiply rapidly. Beaches around here are continually being closed to due ecoli contamination caused by goose fecal mater. Plus they are extremely territorial and that a whole nother problem.

4. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    Please don't feed it! It will find a mate and they will start their family when their time is right.

This loner may very well be looking for his/her own piece of turf to live on.

Let it live on its own and it will be fine.

Lucky you though, for having a beautiful visitor like this!! [​IMG]

5. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    I would love to attract alot more but I dont know if they will stay...

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    In the spring and fall we have up to 30 Canadian geese on our 2 ponds. Every summer we have a pair mate and have between 2 and 7 chicks. They stay around until the chicks can fly. We feed them nothing but they help mow the lawn. They get nice and fat just eating grass and weeds.

7. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    Quote:They will probably stay if they feel it's a good place to have a family. Once they stake out this spot, they'll come back to make their nest every year....and probably stay most of the year anyway.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    We have Canada Geese that fly low over our property every fall and spring. I always wish they would stop for a rest, but they go to larger fields nearby.
    There is nothing more beautiful than a flight of geese in formation.

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I cannot keep Canada geese on my pond even if I feed them. LOL They always eat and fly.

-Kim

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Huh. Move to NJ. That'll cure you [​IMG]

There are LOTS of things more beautiful than every square meter of grass within 500 yards of any body of water eaten down to nubbins and covered in vast amounts of poo from The Geese That Wouldn't Leave.

Seriously [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by