Keeping chicken in house then retruning to coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henney penny, Nov 26, 2013.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    My little frizzle cochin had to have her foot lanced and drained today,she has to have her foot soaked and ointment put on it twice a day and and antibiotic twice a day to.I am keeping her in the house to the next two weeks to do this as its cold in the coop and she might be damp when she goes back out,plus I can keep her feet cleaner if I keep her in a cage in here.My question is when its time for her to go back out in the coop how do I do that after she has been in the house for the two weeks?Do I put her out at night under the heat lamp with the others?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    After two weeks out of the flock she will be a totally new member to them, and will probably get pecked. For this reason, I would try to bring her outside to be with them every day, at least for a few hours. When I have done bumblefoot surgery, I just leave them out with the gang. You could make her stay inside the coop where she wouldn' get too wet. It is too hard to re-introduce if you don't have to.

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I did think of that,I will take her back out today and bring her in o soak and get meds.Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by