Keeping chickens at home

Mommymunoz12

Hatching
Jul 1, 2019
We are having an issue with our 10 chickens venturing over to the neighbors house. They don’t seem to be too fond of it because I have seen them chasing and throwing rocks at them. We have 3 acres that they free-range on and we would like to keep them free-ranging. We looked into putting in a fence of about 1/4-1/2 an acre and the cost was around $2k and that isn’t affordable for us. There is currently a 5 strand barbed wire fence between us and our neighbors. I was wondering if anyone has tried or had success with running hot wire at the bottom to keep them from going through the fence.... or if anyone has any other ideas. Their coop is as far away from the neighbors house as possible but they can’t resist going over there and digging in their mulched flower beds 😬

3 acres is a lot for them to keep wanting to go to the neighbor’s. Silly chickens. Maybe start by letting them out an hour before sunset that way they can’t wander off too far. Mine free range mostly but right now they’re penned up since I’m trying to clean up my yard and a bunch of other stuff but once spring comes full circle they will be out all day.

I got a dog fence type thing its 20 by 20 and 6 ft tall and then I put a net over it. It’s easy to take down and put up if you want to give them new ground every month. That could be an option. The price for it was around $550-600. I don’t know if that’s still not within your budget.

They don’t seem to be too fond of it because I have seen them chasing and throwing rocks at them.
Ya think?!
Sorry, but I wouldn't want that either.
We need to keep our animals out of the neighbors property, it's just common courtesy.

There is currently a 5 strand barbed wire fence between us and our neighbors. I was wondering if anyone has tried or had success with running hot wire at the bottom to keep them from going through the fence
I doubt a hot wire would keep chickens in...
...maybe hot netting, like Premier1 poultry netting.

Barbed wire by itself is really ineffective at keeping chickens in or predators out for that matter. It was developed for larger animals like cattle.

I've seen chickens walk through electric fencing. Their feathers insulate them. If their bare legs, combs, wattles, or bare beak touches the hot wire and they are grounded they will get bitten. @Howard E is pretty much the guru on here as far as using electric wire
to keep chickens in. Maybe he is available to help. It might help him if you post a photo of that fence to show him what you have to work with.

I use electric netting to keep chickens in and predators out. The holes in the netting are too small for the chickens to get through. The electrical part is just for the predators. This netting does require maintenance, like keeping grass and weeds from growing up into it.

If I were putting up something to stop the chickens I'd add a non-electric mesh fence to that barbed wire fence, something the chickens could not get through. If there is any open area under it they may walk under. Usually a four foot high fence is high enough to stop them from flying over it in a big area like you have, but they may be in the habit of going over there and just fly over. Our chickens are generally able to fly much better than many people believe if they want to, but most of the time they don't want to.

See if this will help. In my experience, the more you let them out, the farther they roam. They get comfortable with it. I am hoping you do have a run, but if mine wander too far, I quit letting them out all day, I don't let mine out at the same time each day, as that also helps with predators.

But I find, that if I have to keep the enclosed for a while, when I let them back out, they don't go as far. Or if I limit the time they are out, helps too.

Monica

I have fencing between my coop and the neighbors, and it works fine. Even chicken wire added to the existing fence would help! If the fence is yours, add anything you wish. If it's the neighbor's, talk to them, and get permission first.
We have either 2"x 4" woven wire fencing, or 4"x 4" woven wire fencing, all 4' tall, and it's fine. If you have determined flyers, trimming wing feathers might be necessary.
Mary

To the OP.......what is the purpose of the 5 strand barbed wire fence?

Can the bottom two wires be lowered so they are about 5" and 10" off the ground? If so, the barbed wire fence you already have can become your electric fence just by including insulators to hold it up.....and a fence charger to power it.

I keep my 22 birds inside an area much smaller than yours and a single strand of hot fence will do it. I added more to keep the predators from being able to step over it, but a single strand will work to keep the birds in. Fence has to be hot. To train the birds, bait them with scratch grains under the hot wire so they peck for it and hit it with their combs.......or else step on it to go over......and get popped on the bottom of their foot. Once shocked, they are very reluctant to test it again.

Most folks would look at that single strand hot wire and say "ain't no way possible a chicken will not go over that". Initially, they might.....but not for long.

BTW, used barbed wire can be a cheap and effective way of making an electric fence, and especially so if the fence is to be more or less permanent. Used wire can be found a lot of places if you know where to look, including on craigslist. Any old set of farm barns and buildings that at one time had livestock will probably have some somewhere. Barn across the road from me has several rolls of it laying around. It comes on spools when new, but when you roll it up to save it, the roll becomes about 2 feet in diameter. It is stiff, so won't make sharp turns, but will tension up pretty well, so a long run of it can be made fiddle string tight to hug the ground. Handle it with heavy leather gloves or pay the price.

It can make a decent e-fence for bears, dogs and other furry beasts......since the barb points.....and especially so if you can find the nasty 4 barb stuff.....will punch through the fur to make contact with the skin. Have noticed several low spots under barbed wire fences around the neighborhood, and many of them have tufts of coyote fur wedged in the barbs, where coyotes were crawling under and the barb points got em. If that fence were hot, they would know it.

Back
Top Bottom