Keeping chickens away from the garden ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BruceAZ, Jun 16, 2016.

1. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    [​IMG]

it's good thing i only let them out of the run for about 40-90 minutes a day.. if it was all day then there's probably nothing left of my garden

i thought i saw some small melons/water melons forming but i think they ate them all .. even new sprouts from my citrus trees, etc..

what's a good way to keep the chickens from the garden areas ?

i could get some bird net.. but it might not be a good idea..

i want them to roam around my yard when i'm cleaning out the coop/run + refill the feeders.. but i also want to keep them away from my garden beds..

2. Thus the conundrum, can chickens in gardens work? My simple take is NO. They love good food as do we. Find a way to keep them out while growing.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chickens are to gardens as a plague of locusts, guaranteed to lay complete waste to everything edible. The only solution is to fence everything you wish to protect.

There are some things, though, that are so tough and fast growing that they will survive and even thrive under the onslaught of a herd of chickens. Hollyhocks. penstemon, and native bunch grasses are some plants that can successfully co-exist with chickens.

4. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    I could end up eating my words and not my garden. Hopefully not. We have a raised garden bed. Everytime the chickens jumped up on the wood surrounding the garden I said "No" and brushed them off. They don't even try to hop up there anymore. Fingers crossed. I have 8 pullets that were hatched in January.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Nice, but most of us don't have that kind of time. Fencing is generally the only solution, or having much lower expectation of the garden. My birds love to move the wood chip mulch out of the planting beds, although they did keep the potato plants clear of those nasty potato bugs last year! Mary

6. BruceAZ

May 18, 2016
    true.. i can't be outside all the time to keep an eye on them..

plus my dog also use the yard. so i can't really fenced out the whole yard..

7. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    We don't have a fenced yard either, so whenever our chickens are free-ranging I am out in the yard. That is how I have been able to train them to stay out of the garden.

8. BruceAZ

May 18, 2016
    how long did it take to train them ?

they keep eating my melons/watermelons leaves and flowers .. and now my blueberries..[​IMG]

i caught 3 of them standing in my blueberries planter.. now all the new sprouts are gone..

9. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  10. BruceAZ

May 18, 2016

22-24 weeks?

i thought most chickens will start to lay around 16-18 weeks while some 20 weeks..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by