Keeping Chickens Cool

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kingfish76, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Kingfish76

Kingfish76 New Egg

Jun 22, 2016
    One of my prize birds died of a heat stroke two years ago. Living in South Carolina, keeping the hens cool is quite a task, but keeping a cover over the pen for shade and hooking up an electric fan has been very helpful. Also, I place ice in their water which they seem to enjoy, but I discovered something new today which I want to share. My most intelligent bird was standing in the bowl of iced water and looked very comfortable. Apparently, this produced a cooling effect for her. I filled a large baking pan with ice and water, so all three of my beloved birds now have cold feet on demand.

2. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Kingfish76, welcome to BYC.
    I'm sorry for the loss of your hen, but good to see you found a way to keep the rest of your flock cool during the hot weather. Hope to see you around, enjoy your stay! :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  3. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Yes, pans of water for the girls to wade in is most definitely helpful. Actually the water doesn't even have to be cold. I believe they get cooled via evaporation. That's what's been keeping my girls alive in the 120 F heat here in AZ.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry about your birds. [​IMG] The climate is one thing we can't control, especially when it is a blast furnace outside. I find that keeping turbo fans running at all times in the coops and runs make a huge difference. Hose down the floor too...evaporating water cools the air. Ice in the water, cool treats, frozen water jugs to snuggle up to. And if all else fails and you have a couple of birds with heatstroke, bring them inside to cool off for a few hours. Summer can be brutal! We have 90 degrees going on here today, very hot for this altitude and my birds are panting. But I am doing my best to keep them as cool as possible.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Cool treats like watermelon are gladly dispatched by hot chickens, yogurt etc. I'm ready for the watermelon right now, myself.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC and thanks for sharing your insight - its what makes BYC such a great site!

All the best
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by