Keeping Chickens Cool ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by oneofseven, Jul 11, 2011.

1. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    In Augusta, just like everywhere else, it has been staggeringly hot and humid. What can I do/give the chickens to keep them cool?

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have a misting system set up for my rabbits and chickens

3. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    Just went shopping for mister ideas--home depot here is out of mist appliances so we went next to Northern Tool off I20 & Great SW Pky--Arlington area. Got a cool (literally) mister attachment that zip ties onto a fans wire front for 12 smackers! Bought their small black wire front fan for 29, and walked out with a non-oscillating outfit for under 50 bucks!
    The mister might fit any fan like a box fan or other you have already. We only had a big box fan but for garage cooling, so another fan was needed. Works fabulous! might sit with chickeys just to enjoy the mist myself!
    thout you all would want to know!

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ice water, frozen fruits or veggies. Mine like frozen peas. Ice cold watermelon. fans a must. I mist mine down with the hose a few times a day. Lots of shade. You can freeze 2 liters or milk jugs and put them around in the coop or run and they will lay next to them. You can also put shallow pans of ice water for them to wade in, although my girls wont do that so I just mist.

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Plenty of shade fresh water (i put ice blocks in the pan or ice cubes) frozen fruit is a favorite. It's been in the triple digits here since the first of June. When I water the trees they like to stand in the water puddles.[​IMG]

6. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    Thank You

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by