keeping chickens cool

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vero, Jul 30, 2011.

1. vero

vero New Egg

Oct 22, 2008
    what is the best way to keep my chickens and ducks cool during this hot humid weather the temp has been above 90 and the humidity has been over 60% for this whole month of july, they have fresh water throught the day i have a pool for the ducks which i empty every other day. at night when i put them in the barn i'll put out fresh water and i leave on a couple of fans on for them.

2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

ice cubes in their water every few hours, frozen peas, frozen melons, etc.
    if you can hang a wet sheet in front of your fan it will create a cool breeze.
    that also can be done by putting a frozen soda bottle of water in front of a fan.
    if you have a large watering bowl you can set a frozen bottle right in the center of it.
    good luck

3. MyShunshyn

MyShunshyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    Sperrassoville, OK
    We freeze milk jugs full of water, make blocks of ice in plastic containers, refill 20 oz bottles of water and put them in the waterer. Place the frozen jugs around the coop, blocks of ice in pans of water which they stand in. They also stand and sit on top of the frozen jugs. We also have a fan in the coop which is on all the time.

Our temps have been over 100 for almost 30 straight days with no releif in sight so I guess I will be on ice delivery duty for the forseeable future. [​IMG]

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Actually for most birds if they have an ample source of water and access to shade (and dust pits), they will do OK in the hot weather. In my experience the only problems I've ever had was with Cornish-X's that were penned up--they were so heavy that not only did the heat get to them but they couldn't take in enough water. The only thing that save them was to spray them with water during the heat of the day.

5. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Quote:I have seen the forecast for your area on the news and oh my! [​IMG] I feel for you. We are at 103 right now here in Colorado. Why can't Seattle share their temps?

Hot... so hot...

6. mrdruids

mrdruids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    cold treats are nice, my girls have gobbled down lots of cold apple sauce and a refrigerated gelatine flock block we made, i was thinking of putting up some tarps in the yard so they have more area with shade. right now theyre spending most of the day on the shady side of the house and under the deck.

may your chickens stay in good health [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by