Keeping chickens cool

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seminolewind, May 28, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My temps here are in the 80's and will be in the 90's for the summer. My chickens are already panting. I feel like I need alot of help here. I have a fan in the coop which doesn't do much. I gave them ice water today. They have nice shade under trees. I just hate watching them pant. Tell me what you do, thanks

2. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    We had a heat wave a while back and mine were panting too. We have a covered run that has shade and I put there water in the run. They seemed to do fine. We have three windows and a fan in the coop too.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Other than making sure they've got shade and fresh water, I like to wet down an area of the run in the shade so they've got damp dirt to lay around on.

4. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    I have very hot temps here, and we keep a fan on, and ice bottles in the run, and cold applesauce once in a while. They love it. Oh, and I keep a container of sand near the fan, so they can dust bathe in the cool sand. They like that a lot!!! Steph

5. Aurie

Aurie New Egg

May 28, 2008
    something more to think on... thanks.. here in Louisiana, we have already had many 90 degree days. I know the summer is only going to get hotter.

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    When your chickens are continuously panting you need to put electrolytes in the waterer

stop feeding scratch and remover feed during the hot hours of the day (placing a melon will often help them hydrate as they will often avoid their waterers)

Here are some extension articles specifically dealing with hot weather stress:
    http://backyardchickens.yuku.com/topic/639

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks all for answering. Gosh, out of 10,000 members, we must be the only ones with panting chickens. Maybe we're doing something wrong.

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Thanks so much. The articles were wonderful.

9. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    1. Add nutritional supplements to the feed or water.The electrolyte balance in birds is altered during heat stress due to panting. Panting increases carbon dioxide loss in the bird, which reduces the birds ideal water intake. By adding electrolytes to the feed or water, birds increase their water intake, which aids in keeping a constant body temperature and maintains an effective system of evaporative cooling.

What and where do I buy the electrolytes? My girls are panting like crazy in this Louisiana heat!

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    You aren't alone, I have panting birds too!

You can get electrolytes (comes powderform, usually, in a packet) at feed stores or farm & ranch stores that sell poultry supplies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by