keeping chickens dry

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LearningToFly, May 4, 2007.

1. LearningToFly

LearningToFly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    I'm new at this chicken thing. I bought four week-old peeps on April 7. They are almost fully fledged now.

They are still sleeping in the house at night, and going out in a temporary run during the day. We plan to fix the permanent run this weekend.

So, my question is: This afternoon it began to rain. Even though it had a tarp covering one end of the run, I was afraid the girls would get cold and wet so I brought them in and turned on the heat lamp until they dried.

Once they are outside full time, will there be any need for my hysteria if they get rained on?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

My first "flock" are 1 yr olds. They will be out in the rain, unless its raining pretty hard, then they run to the coop. Its warm, and dry in there....they dont seem to mind too much. The "babies" are 7 weeks old now, and outside with the "big girls" They too will go inside when the rain is hard. As long as they have a warm and dry place to get too...I wouldnt worry...when they get older. ( at least 7 weeks)

3. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I wouldn't know about this. We've only had about an inch of rain since our chicks were hatched, and they were still in the brooder then. They're 2 months old now! I hope they get to see some rain someday!!! [​IMG]

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If the peeps were kept inside top start with, it is a good idea to try and keep them dry and warm. I have some escape artist hens this winter and they hatched out just after the last snow strom here. Some were under the barn, sheds, old cars or where ever. The first time I saw any of the chicks it was wet out and they were with their mom looking for food. They must have been only a week or so old, once they found the food , had their fill it was back to the nest. I only lost maybe 15, I don't know if any of them was to being wet. I think most of those were to coons, fox and ect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by