1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping Chickens Happy in Inclement Weather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cmchickens, Sep 3, 2014.

1. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    It is a wet, dreary, and stormy day here. The dogs are happily laying in front of the heaters, the goats have extra hay to munch on. My 35 or so chickens have confined themselves to the coop. I went out earlier and saw a layer picking on a meat bird. So I figured I should come up with something to help keep them entertained. A quick count in of the egg cartons in the fridge revealed five dozen eggs! Made note to myself to cook eggs for lunch and dinner tonight.I scrambled up 2 dozen of the oldest ones. Divided it between 2 plates, added some dried crushed eggshells to one. Added some yogurt left over from my son's breakfast, and a couple handfuls of cherries to each plate. Cut a cabbage in half and headed out to the coop with my goodies. The plate with the eggshells went up on the counter for the layers, the other one went on the ground for the meaties. Tossed the cabbage halves on the floor for them the pick at for the rest of the day. I think I did good by them today.

So, what do you guys do to entertain your chickens when they're stuck in the coop?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds like you have the chicken entertainment covered. What about flock blocks? Mine love to destroy them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by