Keeping Chickens has given me so much more context...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by prancie, Jan 22, 2010.

1. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    I understand the whole easter egg hunt and easter basket thing. Hunting for eggs is pretty routine (and exciting!), especially in the beginning stages of laying. And I totally get women's fashion before the twentieth century. I mean, all those women look like hens with their layers of petticoats, bustles etc. And I get sexism in general because if you kept chickens all the time you might get the idea that boys are smarter and girls are sweet, but kind of stupid.

Anyone else finally understand the context of something after keeping chickens?

2. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Yes, we've said to ourselves, "Who needs to PLAN egg hunts?"

But I never got the impression that hens were "stupider." Girls lay the eggs, peck the invading humans, and incubate those little eggs with peeps inside. Oh, those "broody mamas" certainly have a character about them! They are so fiercely protective and at the same time lovingly gentle.

The guys strut around all day and sometimes show the girls a piece of food. ( Admittedly, they are quite chivalrous when it comes to sharing food with the hens, sometimes letting the hens take food out of their beaks!) Watching how irresponsible male animals can be actually emphasizes how responsible human males are!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I find it ironic that in olden times women were considered inferior to men. With chickens, the hens are SO much more valuable than the males, even if the males are prettier.

I also find it touching that the rooster will lay down his life for his hens without any hesitation at all. My friends chickens were attacked by a huge dog while they were free-ranging in her fenced-in yard. Her kids didn't understand why he ran towards the dog when all the hens ran away. He was killed, before my friend could catch the dog, but all the hens lived. Brings tears to my eyes to think of him facing certain death to give the girls a chance to get away. What gallentry!

4. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    Our first lead rooster died for his hens, it was rather touching. Our second lead rooster ALMOST died defending his hens. I too find it really touching that they will sacrifice themselves without a second thought. And I love how he supervises everything the hens do, he forages less than them and watches for danger instead. He even eyes me suspiciously when I dig worms for the girls in the compost area.

5. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Wonderful roosters, Southernbelle and prancie! Now THEY are roosters for all men to emulate. [​IMG]

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I never thought of the hens as stupider either....my roosters always seemed more dense.[​IMG]
    Oh definitely, roosters that protect their "women" is something male members of the human species could aspire to,lol.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by