Keeping chickens in a coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by geeber, May 4, 2009.

1. geeber

geeber Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    PNW
    I'm thinking about getting a couple of chickens -- however, I'm not sure about housing them.
    Will chickens be okay in an 8' x 8' tool shed most of the day? I would let them out in the evening when I'm home.

Building skills I do not have, so I'm not able to build a preditor safe run.

I want to be sure I'm able to keep my future chickens safe & happy.

2. Malou-La-Croix

Malou-La-Croix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I am brand new to byc too. Just bought 2 golden comets age 8 weeks. They currently live in a big dog crate at night until I can convince my stepdad to come help me build a coop! I let them free range in my backyard when I am out there (I work from home so I can sit outside with my laptop). I have been studying all the great coops on this site and am thinking of refurbishing my aluminum tool shed into a coop. I will post photos if I do that. Good luck!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Tool sheds usually have no light or ventilation, so no, sorry.

You'd be surprised how many coops on here in the coop section were built by people who had never built anything before. Check them out.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with ddawn. Life in an old tool shed wouldn't be a very good one for happy, healthy chickens.

5. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I have 14 golden comets in an old tool shed. I cut ventilation hole in the top and a hole with a little door so they can get out to their run.

6. geeber

geeber Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    PNW
    Well, my tool shed I guess is really a garden shed. There is an east facing window. I would ventulate the upper walls as well.

However, my questions isn't really about the type of "coop" they are in. What I mean is will chickens be happy spending most of their daytime indoors (in their coop)? In the evening, the plan is, to let them roam my back yard after I get home from work. Until I can put together a preditor safe chicken run I dont want to risk keeping chickens outside while I'm at work.

I dont have any chickens yet, but I'm really trying to get all the information I can before I jump in head first.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    You need a run and you can make a run. Yes, you can!
    Get your chickies and know that you have a month to throw together some fencing with net on top.

Go! [​IMG]

8. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Welcome, Geeber, to the BYC and chicken ownership. Good for you to figure out everything you need before you actually get your birds.

I think chickens are not happy being kept in a coop/shed all day long. Nor do I think it is particularily healthy for them. It is their nature to peck, scratch, dust bathe and chase bugs and they pretty much do that all day long. Being kept indoors does not provide them the light, activity, or socialization they need with each other and the world around them. It is my experience that inactive hens are more prone to parasites. Additionally, Chickens who are bored or overcrowded will turn on each other for something to do even if they are all raised together.

I think keeping them in the shed for a short time would be ok until you are able to build a predator proof run. Or if you can afford it, have someone build you one. Depending on where you live would certainly determine how predator proof you need to be so getting a run together might be easier than you think.

Welcome again.

9. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My chickens have lived in a fourx12 coop for all of their lives. They are doing fine. I have kept up to 7 in there. Lots of view/ventilation as the front is all chicken wire. Deep litter for bedding on a wood floor. Thats the old coop. Just built an 8x40 coop, half floored and half dirt. I'll be opening them up to the pasture as soon as I can dispose of the hawk thats been setting up surveillance in the barn. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by