Keeping Chickens in France

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Karen Brooke, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Karen Brooke

Karen Brooke New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Burgundy, France.
    Hi everyone. I decided to join the group after reading Keeping Chickens for Dummies, as Rob Ludlow (owner of BYC.com, I believe) had contributed greatly to this book.
    I am an English woman living in France and finally have enough space to keep my beloved ladies. I have 6 chickens, two light Sussex, two rousse (red coloured) and two rouge foncé (dark with golden markings).... not 100% sure of their English names? They are now about 8 months old and also have a young cockerel of 4.5 months, described in France as an ornamental chicken. I moved here with my husband permantly this year so still settling in. We are surrounded but agriculteral land and huge amounts of forestry, very different from our previous London life.
    I adore my chickens and would like to breed them maybe next year so will be coming here for advice I am sure :).
    Looking forward to sharing all your chicken photos, ideas and advice X

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Bon jour Karen, it's very nice to meet you. I'm sure there are big differences in living in UK and France. It's great that you are allowed to have chickens. [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Karen and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us! Sounds like a massive change in lifestyle - and for the better IMO - can't stand London (I'm from the UK, BTW) or cities in general, for that matter [​IMG]

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

I don't recall seeing a French thread here on BYC, but if you still have pangs for Blighty, then you could always join the UK thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655508/uk-member-please-say-hi/890

All the best
    CT

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I'm excited to see some photos of your chickens! Always very cool to see what y'all have overseas.

5. Karen Brooke

Karen Brooke New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Burgundy, France.
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Didn't realise there was a UK thread so thanks for the tip CTKen, I will have a look but I any pangs for Blighty :)

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Karen, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard! Enjoy your flock and BYC. :)

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!! I did not know Rob wrote raising chickens for dummies!! Now I want the book. He is on here as NiftyChicken, I believe. Thanks for joining us today and I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

9. Alycea

Alycea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    near Chablis, France
    Bonjour! Like you we are expats from UK to France, living in Burgundy.

We have chickens and ducks, including a pet duck.

Great that you found this site, it is invaluable, especially as it is so difficult to find good advice here in France. (We have yet to find a vet with any knowledge about birds.) Also hard to find many of the products that are recommended, and many of the French ones are not very good. We often have to ask friends in UK to bring over treatments and more from the UK for us.

Good luck with your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by