Keeping Chickens In Houston Area (Southwest) Legal?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Polish Chickens, May 13, 2009.

1. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    I have 22 Polish chicks that are growing. I live in the southwest houston area and am wondering if you're allowed to keep chickens in your neighborhood as there is a back field that is behind my home and I happen to hear roos crowing in the distance as there also mobile homes back there as well. I live in a neighborhood area where there are houses right next to each other and I'd really like to know if it's even possibly legal to keep my growing flock of chicks

2. farmerpete

farmerpete Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    S.E Texas
    from farmerpete. Hello , I'm not sure , but I would ask your neighbors how they felt about chickens. In some wards in Houston it's not legal, but not inforced until someone comlains. I live 41 mi. north of Houston in Cleveland., but lived in Houston 30 yrs. ago. I cash purchased 2 acres here, but checked before hand about restrictions on livestock. There are none, and if your neighbors dog bothers your livestock, then you can ask it be taken down. Here in Tx. Live stock is protected, And if you have 5 or more acres, you can get a tax break if you have livestock on it, up to 1 animal per acre <except pigs> We deduct all of our chickens,goats,and pigs on our tax returns for feed , meds. and gas to go get it. IT'S LEGAL. Good luck on being able to keep your flock.

3. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:I'll have to look up this info about keeping chickens and the neighbors dog is a small dog about the size of a chiuawawa and there are three other small dogs that are also owned by mexicans that happen to live just a few houses down in the neighborhood that wander around in the neighborhood and have been stepping into my frontyard and they also go into my backyard as well. If someone happens to complain about my flock I wouldn't know what to do without my birds since they are my pets for sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by