keeping chickens of walkway?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by derrik38, May 13, 2007.

1. derrik38

derrik38 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    i have 3 chickens how do i keep them of the walkway next to the back door? mouth ball pepper?? also what do u guys do with the straw from the coop when its time to change? thank you.

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    The only way I know of the keep my chickens off my walk is to keep them in their pen. No free ranging. That's why I have a special pair of outside shoes. [​IMG]

As for used bedding, can't help you there. I'm still trying to figure it out over here.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We compost the used bedding. Later it gets incorporated into the garden.

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I use wood chips in summer and straw packed up like insulation in the winter

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    you might as well forget about trying to keep chickens away from certain areas, unless you pen them up. Cause chickens go where chickens want! he he he he! as far as the used straw, I throw mine onto my Mulch pile. [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've given up on keeping them off of things. I fence in things I don't want them stepping on. When I get my own house, I am so fencing in the front walk way to keep birds off of it. .

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

You're not going to keep them off the back patio unless you enclose it or don't let them free range. Take it from me... I have many eyeballs staring in at me when I cook dinner!!! [​IMG]

8. derrik38

derrik38 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    thanks for your help.they have a small pen so i dont wont to close them in.i guess ill just use chicken wire to fence off the walk way.

9. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    I have given up and let the chickens HAVE whatever area of my yard they choose. I have a big yard(3acres) so they do not concentrate on any one area too badly. I did try to have a rose garden where they wanted to dust bathe-Gawd forbid-hehehe They won, and my roses died. I gave up.

Before I had a compost pile, I used to burn my used bedding. a waste, I know, but I was city-gone country and hadn't figured it all out yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by