Keeping Chickens Off Back Porch

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fancyflea, Oct 26, 2010.

1. fancyflea

fancyflea Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    I have 20 chickens and 1 turkey. They have 8 acres to free range but keep coming onto my back porch and of course leave me presents, especially the turkey. Is there a way to keep them off besides an electric fence. Mothballs??

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

You could try shooing them off every time...not sure if it would work or not. They dont have a sense of smell and moth balls can be poisonous so dont try them! Do you (or maybe the kids) ever give them snacks from the back door? Do flies congregate there that they can eat? Anything else that might attract them? Warmth? Maybe you can make their own private porch off their door? They have to be coming up there for some reason and you need to figure out what that reason is and eliminate it. Make their space more comfy and they will hang out there. HTH--Terri O

3. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    That is were they see you come from..... with treats! My deck is a mess, but the girls come a running when they hear that slider opening... I keep a hose handy for the daily wash down.

4. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    I have a back deck (with a rail) and it got so that you couldn't step out there without bringing in a shoe-ful of poop. Drove my husband crazy, so I put a gate up so that they can't get on the deck anymore. I would say rope it off, snow fence it off, put up a gate if you have the design to do that. Shoo them off whenever you see them. Never feed them near the back porch. Hopefully it will just become a matter of habit that they stay off the porch.

5. fancyflea

fancyflea Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    I'm so glad you told me about the moth balls. I had no idea chickens had no sense of smell. They have a real nice coop and a fenced run 50ft by 10ft. And a roof on the run. I try to shoo them off during the day but I can only do it so many times a day. I do come out that door to put them in for the evening with goodies but they only get those goodies in their run which is no where near the back porch. Luckely I do have a hose near buy. I am going to thin the flock to 12 so that should make it better.

6. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I give them treats as far away from the porch as possible. I used to just throw the food out to them, but discovered they were all watching me from the sliding door messing up the patio. They still do, but not nearly as often. Just a part of having chickens I've come to accept.

7. lorrir

lorrir Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I chase them off with the broom. The'll stop after a while.

8. 4luvofchickens

4luvofchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    I had to start using a child gate to stop my hens from getting on my back porch. Worked well.

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    We'll be screening ours in this winter or spring!! It's driving my hubby nuts!! [​IMG]

Missi

10. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    Count me in as a person with one poopy back patio....and I only have 3 pullets. There is no way I could fence off my patio, and I'm afraid shooing them away would send them the message that I didn't want them near "me". All I can do for now is hose off the patio once, maybe twice a day. I have no idea what I'm going to do in the winter when hosing off the patio would result in it turning into an ice skating rink. I'm hoping that in the winter, their poo will freeze fast so that I can just brush it off with a broom. As for now, they just stand right outside my sliding door, staring in at me in my kitchen and making me feel bad that they're not in with me, or I'm not out there with them giving them treats--and mine have a great yard to free-range in as well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by