Keeping chickens off patio

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wilhiteranch, Jul 12, 2011.

1. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    I'm wondering if anyone knows any good ways to teach or keep the chickens off of the patio and onto the grass?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Mostly the garden hose, and broom and do not exit that door with treats (or don't let them see you with the treats). Just make sure they aren't escaping a predator by getting on your porch first or you will be driving them into it's jaws.

3. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    Quote:How about a squirt bottle with water and squirt them off.. I have been keeping their mealworms on the patio I will move them ;0)

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Today, as I was walking from the yard to the porch---I felt so much COOLER...and now I know why the chickens are always trying to come on the porch when they free range. They are actually pretty smart.

It made me think that I could get some sort of large 'play pen' with water food, Newspaper? -- both for thier reading enjoyment and their poo protection--and they could be cooler--but not fully at liberty.

There are a number of constructions made from PVC pipe and bird netting or chicken wire designed to contain the chickens. Instead of doing a lot of chasing, maybe you could do some enclosing and they could gain the coolness they are seeking. (guessing here that your patio is shaded and your weather is hot like ours is)

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I use bamboo sticks and plastic fencing to block out the hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by