Keeping chickens OFF the porch but letting the dog out into the yard

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by masschickvet, Feb 24, 2014.

1. masschickvet

masschickvet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    Alright smart people. I have 8 chickens and one dog. I have one deck, level with the yard (one small step down) that I DO NOT want the chickens to have access to, because let's face it, they crap a lot and it's gross to have a deck full of poo. Also, they peck the paint off the wooden siding. There is an 8ft gap in the deck railing that allows people, chickens, and the dog to go into and out of the yard. Can anyone think of a system that will allow the dog to go out into the yard, but keep the chickens OFF the deck. Of course I mean something that I don't have to be present to operate. Of course I could put up a gate, but the dog, lacking thumbs, would not be able to open it. Unless it were weighted, like the gates at Colonial Williamsburg...hm, I may be onto something...she is a smart dog, I could teach her (and the kids) to push open a gate that is not latched, but weighted to swing closed (gently, no point in squashing anyone here). The chickens would not be strong enough.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome!

2. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    How about narowing that space and putting a regular gate - with one of those 'electronic key' doggie doors? The 'key' is on the dog's collar. Only the dog wearing the colar can open the doggie door. Everyone with thumbs opens the regualr gate. Anyone with only toes and feathers will have to fly over (and they will, you know)

3. masschickvet

masschickvet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    Yes, I like that idea! You're right, the one smart one will fly over and the other dumb ones, who would have never figured that out on their own, will follow shortly. Well, it may work for a while anyway...great idea!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by