1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping Chickens out of Flower beds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by prairie, Mar 14, 2012.

1. prairie

prairie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Kansas
    Hi, I would like to find out how other people keep their chickens out of their flower beds. I have attached a couple of pictures showing my set up for my 2 large flower beds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]I used some leftover wire fencing with 2X4 holes -- laid it flat on top of supports. The supports I cut from tomato cages. I cut the round rings and left little legs on the rings from the cage. The fence lays on top of these and it keeps them about 4 inches off the ground. The plants come up thru the fence and hides the fence as they grow.

I have some other beds that this won't quite work in and was wondering what others are using.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    The only way I can keep chickens from tearing things up, is to keep them in a pen or fenced area.

Good luck..........

3. wvtim

wvtim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Electric Fence is the answer to keep most animals out of the garden/flower beds. The only pest it doesnt work on is groundhogs.

4. prairie

prairie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Kansas
    We use an electric fence around our sweet corn patch to keep the raccoons and dogs out and may have to do that to the entire veggie garden but still hope to figure out more for the flower beds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by