keeping chickens out of gardens

dancingflame

Chirping
Aug 15, 2020
our chickens are free-roaming, but I’m having issues keeping them out of our garden. :( does anyone have tips? i’m trying out chili powder and cinnamon at the moment, but it’s pretty hard to deter them from digging in the mulch. someone has said ammonia would deter them, but i’m not so sure…

(sorry if this is the wrong category, btw)

A garden, from the chicken's view, it's a little paradise: soft dirt to dustbathe, soft soil where to search for worms and lots of yummy plants. It is difficult to deter chickens from all of this with these things. As it has been said, the best thing is to put a fence or something similar. The height depends on the breeds you have (the lighter they are, the taller it has to be). I separated the area with ornamental plants from the area where the chickens are free to roam with pasture poultry fences. I only have chickens that do not fly so much (plus they have many interesting things to do in their area) so it's pretty useful. If you have Leghorn-type breeds or small bantams you might have to use taller fences.

our chickens are free-roaming, but I’m having issues keeping them out of our garden. :( does anyone have tips? i’m trying out chili powder and cinnamon at the moment, but it’s pretty hard to deter them from digging in the mulch. someone has said ammonia would deter them, but i’m not so sure…

(sorry if this is the wrong category, btw)
I ordered what my son calls “puppy gates” on amazon. Black metal, 24” high, eight panels wide, with a door. There are several brands. Cost is $35-49. One set will go around a 4’ x 8’ raised planter bed, with some extra length. Keeps my chickens and ducks out. I had a chicken who liked to eat the tomato leaves and then stopped laying (maybe not cause and effect)…have since read thise nightshade plants are not good for the birds. Everyone free ranges on my urban backyard. Six foot wood fence all around the yard is the neighborhood norm.

Back
Top Bottom