Keeping chickens safe rather than predators out

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by atlanticchicks, Apr 17, 2017.

1. atlanticchicks

atlanticchicks New Egg

Apr 17, 2017
    Hi
    Were just about to start keeping chickens and is all new to us. It's only going to be a hobby to give the kids an education in other aspects of life-not a business. We are in the west coast of Ireland so our potential predators are foxes and badgers. We live beside a field that keeps cattle in the summer but is on a slope.

Ideally we want to use a section of this field for the chickens and make it as free range as we can. One idea is to use electric fence wire (we already have plenty of this and a permanent power source for it). If we had 3 strings- one at the top for the cattle, 2 lower down for foxes, badgers do you think this would keep the chikens in? If it was a possibility we could give them a really big area to roam free in.

I saw someone suggested putting the coop/run away from the edge of the area to deter them getting close to the wire I guess???

Anyway all advice and help appreciated!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    1 person likes this.
  3. atlanticchicks

atlanticchicks New Egg

Apr 17, 2017
    Have now posted in suggested forum. Thanks again.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, atlanticchicks, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Best of luck with your flock and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome - I'm sure the experts there will give you some good advice [​IMG]

6. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    if you want to go electric fencing I would suggest woven wire poultry netting. The 3 strings won't be an issue for a chicken to hop through. Even if you put the coop in the middle of the electric wire the chickens will eventually venture to it. The 3 strings will surely help prevent the cattle and predators but the chickens will definitely try to go through it

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under atlanticchicks [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already sought advice on the Forum Ken gave you a link to, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by